Any web or mobile application’s backend is its foundation. It covers every facet of the application, including its features and functionality, ensuring that it runs optimally. However, finding a decent team of backend developers to build a solid app is quite challenging. You need to adequately prepare yourself to recruit and oversee the backend coding team.
We will outline the steps to creating a top-notch backend development team in this blog, including the following areas:
- Identify your needs and objectives for backend development
- Select and employ competent backend developers
- Recruit and educate your staff of backend developers
- Lead and inspire your backend development team
- Evaluate and strengthen your backend development team
Let’s dive in!
What Is A Backend Developer?
A backend developer works on the server side of the software or application, which is invisible to the naked eye. The role of backend developers is to work on the website’s databases, backend logic, servers, APIs, and architecture to ensure optimal performance of your system.
Some programming languages backend developers use are Python, PHP, and Ruby. Their frameworks include Laravel, Django, and Node.js. The databases they leverage are MongoDB, MySQL, and Oracle. The servers include Apache, Lighttpd, and Microsoft IIS.
5 Steps To Build A High-Quality Backend Development Team
Building a high-quality backend development team is essential for the development of your web application. They ensure the reliability, scalability, availability, and performance of your backend systems. To help a successful backend development, here are the five crucial steps you need to follow:
Step 1: Identify Your Needs And Objectives For Backend Development
Understanding your target goals and long-term objectives is primal for the success of your project. Once identified, communicate them to your backend development team. Effective communication is crucial as it lets you put your best foot forward in finding the right backend developers for your project.
So, before you start finding a decent backend developer team, ask yourself the following:
- How challenging is the nature of your project?
- What are the intended features and functionalities of your desired application?
- How technical are the application’s requirements?
- What are the levels of security and performance required for your application?
- What are the project’s timelines and financial restrictions?
These above-mentioned questions will help you identify the following:
- Your backend development team’s composition and size (full-stack, front-end, backend, DevOps, etc.).
- The degree to which your backend developers are proficient in various programming languages, frameworks, tools, etc.
- The duties of your backend developers, such as those of an architect, lead developer, junior developer, etc.
- The approaches your backend development team uses for cooperation and communication (such as agile, scrum, kanban, etc.)
It will be easier for you to write a thorough job description that will draw in suitable talent for your project if you have a clear understanding of your backend development requirements and objectives.
Step 2: Select And Employ Competent Backend Developers
Look for backend developers for hire who meet your requirements once you have determined your needs and objectives for backend development. Backend developers can be found and hired in a variety of ways, including:
- Posting a job opportunity in web directories (such as Stack Overflow, Indeed, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Contacting your network and sources for recommendations (such as previous coworkers, friends, mentors, etc.)
- Hiring IT staff augmentation organizations or freelancers from marketplaces such as Upwork, Fiverr, People Per Hour, etc.
- Conducting hackathons and similar events.
Whichever approach you go with, always employ backend developers using the following best practices:
- Examine your prospects’ resumes, portfolios, and internet profiles (such as GitHub, blogs, etc.) before hiring them.
- To evaluate candidates’ knowledge and skills, conduct technical interviews and assessments (such as coding challenges and live coding sessions).
- To make sure they work successfully with your team, assess their soft skills and cultural fit (such as communication, problem-solving, and teamwork abilities).
- To entice and keep top people, provide competitive pay and benefits (such as bonuses, stock, and salary).
It’s indeed quite challenging to get in touch with a decent backend developer. However, for the success of your project, it may take a small fortune to connect with qualified talent.
Step 3: Recruit And Educate Your Staff Of Backend Developers
To ensure that your backend engineers are prepared to work on your project, you must be properly on board and train them after hiring them. To fully integrate new workers into your team culture and acquaint them with the specifications and expectations of your projects, onboarding, and training are crucial tasks.
Incorporate some tasks within your onboarding and training process, such as:
- Your team members and stakeholders (such as managers, clients, users, etc.) should be informed about your new recruits.
- Granting them access to the materials and documentation for your project (such as the codebase, instruments, rules, etc.)
- Giving them a mentor or a friend (a senior developer, team lead, etc.) who can help them and respond to their inquiries
- Taking them on a tour of the architecture and processes of your project (such as design, development, testing, deployment, etc.)
- Establishing their tools and development environment (IDE, version control, testing software, etc.)
- Providing them with feedback and assistance as they learn (e.g., through code reviews, pair programming, etc.)
Your backend development crew may need some time and effort to onboard and train. Making sure your new workers are at ease in their position and capable of making a meaningful contribution to your project, however, is worthwhile.
Step 4: Lead And Inspire Your Team Of Backend Developers
To ensure that your backend development team performs well and is committed to your project, you must manage and inspire them after they have been hired and trained. Do the following to lead and inspire your backend development team:
- Foster a culture of effective communication among your team members via emails, meetings, etc.
- Delegating SMART (Specific, Measurable, Accurate, Realistic, Timebound) tasks to your team members.
- Leveraging metrics, reports, etc., to analyze, monitor, and measure the effectiveness of your team members.
- Provide constructive feedback and appreciation for their contributions by giving them incentives, bonuses, compliments, etc.
- Arbitrate whenever possible within or outside your team, including delays, arguments, etc.
- Promote and advocate for team collaboration and conduct brainstorming sessions, hackathons, etc.
Ensure to provide avenues for the professional development of your team members through training sessions, seminars, conferences, etc.
Becoming an inspiration for your backend development team may certainly be challenging, yet it’s also rewarding. Therefore, galvanize your team members for them to stay productive.
Step 5: Evaluate And Strengthen Your Backend Development Team
To ensure that your backend development team provides high-quality solutions for your project, assess and improve their performance. A backend development team evaluation and improvement involves:
- Conducting thorough testing of user, integration, and unit to ensure the quality of your application.
- Gathering and analyzing customer feedback through surveys, ratings, reviews, etc.
- Based on the feedback, improve the functionality of your application.
- Coming up with innovative ideas for your application, such as adding new features and fixing bugs, etc.
- The impact and results of your software or of your team should be measured and reported (for example, user satisfaction, client satisfaction, revenue, etc.).
- Recognizing and disseminating the successes and lessons learned by your team or by your app (e.g., through testimonials, case studies, prizes, etc.)
Iteratively and continuously improving your backend development team is a process. However, it’s imperative that your team put their continuous efforts into making your application better to deliver optimal user satisfaction.
Your web or mobile application’s success depends heavily on assembling a top-notch backend development team. It necessitates thorough preparation, recruitment, and oversight of the programmers who will work on the backend code.
We’ve given you a step-by-step manual for creating a top-notch backend development team in this blog article. We believe that this guidance will assist you in assembling a top-notch backend development team that will produce top-notch outcomes for your project.
Need to hire backend developers for a specific project? Then, get in touch with VinnCorp. We are a leading IT staff augmentation company with a diverse talent pool of backend developers, supporting you in any stage of your project development. Our pre-selected backend developers are well-versed in providing top-notch backend development services, seamlessly following through every stage of the development process. They integrate any feature or functionality on your application and ensure it stands out from the rest of the competition.
Our Silicon Valley standard backend developers are flexible and adaptable and easily bespoke backend development services as per your project’s requirements.
Let’s set a meeting and get a quote for backend development services; we would be happy to talk to you about your project.